11 interesting Philippines facts. I was going to upload the video of only landing in Manila, but i thought that might be a little boring so i decided to add some facts about the Philippines to keep people interested. I found these facts while i was searching for facts about the Philippines. Some of these facts i actively found out myself due to my interest in the subjects. This video is me landing in The Philippines capital city Manila on 26th August, 2016. There was heavy rain due to a typhoon in the area.
1. Philippines was a colony of Spain for more than 330 years (1565-1898).
2. The Battle Of Manila Bay 1898 – The battle took place in Manila Bay in the Philippines, and was the first major engagement of the Spanish-American War. The battle marked the end of the Spanish colonial period in the Philippine history. Casualties of War: USA 1 dead & 9 Wounded. Spain 77 dead & 271 wounded.
3. The Philippines comprises over 7,000 Islands. More than 5,000 have yet to be named.
4. The islands were named “The Philippines” after King Philip II of Spain.
5. The Philippines is the 12th most populous country in the world. At last count the population was 102,624,209. (July 2016)
6. Over 50% of the population speak English.
7. The richest person in The Philippines is Henry Sy, with a fortune of 12 Billion USD. He is the founder of SM Investments and the owner of 3 of the biggest shopping malls in the world. SM Mega mall, SM North Edsa, and SM Mall of Asia.
8. The Philippines officially has the most beautiful women in the world. The Philippines is the #1 Ranked country of all combined International Beauty Paegeants (2016).
9. Manny Pacquio became the Philippines 27th World Champion Boxer when he defeated Chatchai Sasakul of Thailand for the WBC Flyweight Champion (112 lbs) on December 4th, 1998.
10. Philippines have sent athletes to compete in 28 Olympic games. They have never won a Gold medal at the Olympics. Their total Olympic medal tally stands at 0 Gold, 3 Silver and 7 Bronze. Boxing has been the top medal producing sport with 5 medals.
11. The positioning of the Philippine flag’s colors indicate a message. If it is flown with the red stripe on top, the nation is in a state of war. Otherwise, during peacetime, the blue is on top.
I hope you enjoyed these 11 Philippine facts. Thanks for watching.
Hotel Bookings – Book your Hotels in Thailand using DeadFarang.com
Youtube – http://www.youtube.com/deadfarang
Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/deadfarang
Instagram – http://www.instagram.com/deadfarang
Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/deadfarang